4.02.2011

Base Run 4:5:4:3:2:1

My last training run was in the category base runs. These are the bread and butter of my running. A run where I go out for a set distance and work on my running but the runs are not long enough to be considered a long run. In base runs I push myself enough so the runs are not easy or recovery runs.

Yesterday's base run had a different intensity profile for me. I am notorious for starting out my base runs at my comfort pace and then picking up the pace at the end or middle of the run. It is a conservative running pattern in which I know I will have the energy reserves at the end because I pick up the pace in accordance with how I feel. Not this time!

My intensity profile for this base run was 4:5:4:3:2:1; therefore, I started out strong and then allowed my pace to ease up some. In addition, 60% of my run was in the 4:5:4 and there were times I wanted to give up and slow down but I refrained. My goal was to begin incorporating training runs where I have to keep going when my body says "Really? More?" to build on the mental training needed to go the distance.

The run was hard for two reasons: I started out strong and I was running at a 10% incline but I felt great at the end. I didn't give up. I kept going and I remembered why I love to run! (Not that I ever really forget that one.)

Keep running and be happy!

What's next for me? Speedwork....I'll keep you updated!