4.05.2011

The Banana-Peanut Butter Smoothie Delight

I have a banana tree in my yard which means at times, I can be overwhelmed by ripening bananas. I quickly learned that peeled bananas freeze well and can become a mainstay of my morning smoothie.

My favorite recipe is simple with only three ingredients - 1 cup milk, 1 extra small banana (5-6" long), 1 Tbl peanut butter (okay, some days I mix in a little vanilla protein powder).

I use either fat-free cow milk or vanilla soy milk. The nutritional analysis with fat-free milk is:

252 calories
8 g fat
5 mg cholesterol
132 mg sodium
34 g total carbohydrates
3 g dietary fiber
23 g sugar
13 g protein
24% vitamin A
16% vitamin C
51% calcium
4% iron

Servings: 1

This smoothie is great for pre-run or post-run, depending on how it settles best in your stomach. I usually drink it post-run and it has a good amount of protein for my muscle needs. In addition, the potassium in the banana is always a plus for any runner! And for a woman with osteopenia, the calcium boost is a good way to start the day off smart.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:25 AM

    Sometimes I add plain greek yogurt to this... and always a squirt of chocolate syrup!"

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!