3.30.2011

Finding your (Running) Rhythm - Day 7

Day 7 of Spreading Positive Energy in memory of Dad.

Any experienced runner can tell you that a run always feels best when you are in your groove, or in rhythm. How you achieve this is entirely up to you. Do you use music to keep your rhythm in place or do you listen to the beat of yourself, your feet pounding the ground?

I do a little of both. I do love to listen to tunes when I run especially if I am training on a treadmill. And I am quite particular with the beat of my tunes. I like a good base and a good beat. However, I always follow my body and aim to get into the wonderful running groove I love so much. For me, I know I am running in rhythm when the effort seems less, my body is flowing, and all is good. Don't get me wrong, I can be in rhythm and still have a challenging run that pushes myself, but I am in tune with myself.

My shortcoming is that it always takes me time to get my rhythm in check, which is why I feel I am better as a distance runner than a fast, short-distance runner. The hardest part of all my runs is the initial 20 or so minutes. Once I pass that point, I flow and my running feels more graceful, more me. Upon reflection, I feel this time marks the amount of time I need mentally to let go of all the things I need to do, all the stress, all the responsibility, and really get into accepting and enjoying my time and focusing on myself. Perhaps if I incorporate some meditation into my life, I can reach this ideal running state earlier and enjoy more runs in rhythm.

Challenge for Day 7:
Find your rhythm in life. When you are in tune with yourself and taking care of yourself, you are better able to take care of others and share the positive aspects of life.